Can’t decide what kind of toys to buy your child? Maybe you would like to outsource the decision- making to a professional.
How about allowing a pediatric OT help you pick what toys your child can play with and enjoy?
Well, if you want to find out, why not try Sensory TheraPLAY?
Table of Contents
How Does Sensory TheraPLAY Work?
Sensory TheraPLAY works by providing you a monthly loot box that contains toys and other learning materials that were handpicked by a licensed pediatric occupational therapist.
It is a subscription service, meaning you can expect a unique box every month.
What this means is that your child will never get bored; as soon as the items from the current box begin to feel routine and stale, a new replacement box will arrive to give new stimulating options for them to use.
The creators of Sensory TheraPLAY have the needs of your child in mind when they decide which toys and other educational items to put into the box.
For the parent, each box has excellent information which gives provides instructions on how to make the most out of everything contained in the loot box.
It will describe each of the items inside and how they can help your child to learn, play, and develop.
Remember—each box is carefully curated to meet the needs of your child, so you have to inform Sensory TheraPLAY as to the unique learning and play requirements for your child, so they can tailor the loot box to what would best suit them.
As a subscription service, the Sensory TheraPLAY goes for $39.95 a month plus shipping and handling.
You can save money by ordering for three months, and save even more by ordering a package for six months’ worth of boxes.
Christina—an occupational therapist living in New York with her partner, two daughters, and an assortment of animals—founded the company while she cut her teeth as an occupational therapist working with children with developmental delays, autism spectrum disorder, neurological impairments, and emotional disturbances.
She has worked with children of various ages up to 5th grade.
She came up with the idea when she saw that there was an unmet need in her field for something like the Sensory TheraPLAY Box.
Her clients frequently asked her for tips on what toys or activities they should allow their children to have.
Ever the helpful person, Christina was regularly writing out lists to help parents track down useful toys and activities to provide the children at home.
Christina’s husband pitched in, too. He signed her up for a subscription box service one Christmas, and she was enthralled by a seemingly ever-renewing supply of crystals, handmade jewelry, aromatherapy products, books, and other quirky items.
She loved the subscription box concept and made it an integral part of her fledgling product line.
She decided to combine the constancy of monthly subscriptions with her expertise in providing toys and other items for children with special needs.
As a result, Sensory TheraPLAY was born, to provide families with the tools that they need to engage their child in entertaining sensory play, while at the same time promoting their development of critical sensory-motor skills.
As such, her item selection criteria include the following:
- Items that therapists consider their favorites.
- “Tried and True” goodies which have received a lot of positive feedback from parents of special needs children.
- Everyday toys featured in toy stores that aren’t necessarily marketed toward special needs children, but can have developmental and sensory benefits.
Christina has continued the hunt for these types of items and continually integrates them into the Sensory TheraPLAY Box; over time, Christina has gotten better at finding the right things.
The business is slowly growing, and Christina hopes that more and more parents will recognize the value of the Sensory TheraPLAY Boxes.
- Brick Loot – Brick Loot is a subscription loot box service that focuses on providing construction toys; imagine LEGO, but continuously refreshed with new models and pieces. Brick Loot’s mission is to give toy brick enthusiasts what they want.
- Groovy Lab In a Box – The Groovy Lab in a box is designed to awaken the inner scientist, technologist, engineer, or mathematicians in your child, to promote play that will encourage the essential soft skills needed to help your child to appreciate STEM fields.
- Hoot Club – A customized box with three toys will come to your child every month; this box is specially designed for your child’s needs because you answer a questionnaire when you sign up so that the toys are curated for your child.
These three alternatives are also monthly subscription boxes that will allow your child to have a constant supply of toys for his or her enjoyment.
- A fresh supply of toys and educational items every month
- Christina is a specialist who handpicks the contents of the Sensory TheraPLAY Box, with the intent of meeting the needs of special needs children
- Sensory TheraPLAY Boxes are custom-built for each child; their needs will be met by the Sensory TheraPLAY Boxes no matter what his or her special needs are.
- A subscription service can become an insidious expense if you do not keep track of the shipments
- This service is limited to providing for special needs children; consider one of the other subscription companies above if your child does not fit this description
Finding high-quality, sensory toys that appeal to children with special needs can be complicated.
Always searching online to find new ones that will appeal to the child can be a chore because let’s face it—kids lose interest fast.
They can quickly become bored with the toys and sensory items that they already have.
But if you put your trust in Sensory TheraPLAY, you can always expect a fantastic experience with each monthly box.
Your child will look forward to the arrival of every new box because there will always be something new and innovative to capture their attention.