With so many options available today, it is incredibly difficult to purchase toys and games for kids that are both engaging and educational.
Why not let the professionals handle it? HOOT (Hands-On Occupational Therapy) for Kids is a subscription box company that offers monthly “treasure boxes” of toys and activities tailor-made for your child by professional occupational therapists.
Here, we’ll review how the subscription system works, what they offer, and how much it costs to help you make your decision as to whether it is right for you and your child.
Table of Contents
How Does Hoot for Kids Work?
To get started with HOOT for Kids, you need to go their website and sign up for an account.
First, select the treasure box that you want to purchase for your child; this box comes with three or more toys and a personalized activity card developed by the company’s occupational therapists.
Each box is customized based on the needs of your child according to their age and developmental stage.
Once you select the treasure box, you can choose whether it is for your child or a gift for someone else, and they give you the option to either sign up for a subscription or leave it as a one-time-only purchase.
You can then choose to upgrade to a deluxe box, which will add another toy to the treasure box for only $5. On the next page, fill out the questionnaire with your child’s details.
Once done, you can either order more items from their shop or proceed to the checkout page.
After purchasing the treasure box, you will receive the option to complete another questionnaire; it is crucial that you fill out this page, as it will help the occupational therapists select the appropriate toys for your child’s needs based on his or her age and developmental stage.
Answering these questions will help the company target the areas that are vital to your child’s growth, such as fine or gross motor skills, strength, sensory, and visual perception.
The company ships their treasure boxes through USPS on the 1st and 15th of the month, and you should expect your box to arrive within 1-3 business days.
Types of Toys Available
HOOT for Kids ensures that only the highest-quality items come with your treasure box, and so they’ve partnered with brands that offer only the best toys and children’s accessories.
Some of these brands include:
- Angel Dear
- Big Jigs
- Crocodile Creek
- Uncle Goose
- Scribble Down
For a complete rundown of HOOT for Kids’ brand partners, click here.
HOOT for Kids also offers multiple add-ons to treasure boxes and will take $5 off the total order if you go beyond $35 worth of additional items.
- Happy birthday felt crown set
- Blankets, pillows, and rattles
- Games and puzzles
- Stuffed animals
- Coloring and art project materials
HOOT for Kids offers a monthly subscription plan at $34.99, which excludes shipping, and you can get discounts for longer subscriptions.
Due to the varying contents of the treasure boxes, shipping will differ significantly depending on your location.
Billing occurs at the time of purchase, and if you set your plan to auto-renew, then you will be charged again following the next delivery; renewal payment occurs 14 days before the shipping date.
The idea for HOOT for Kids was rooted from the love and passion for kids by a group of people led by pediatric occupational therapist Lisa Cummings.
With over 25 years of experience helping babies and school-aged children challenge themselves, Lisa has an incredible understanding of the beauty within each child along with the individual differences that make each of them unique.
Through this philosophy, the company uses toys, play, and activities to help children learn and develop by discovering the exciting world around them.
Since its establishment in July of 2016, HOOT for Kids has been committed to bringing occupational therapy expertise to children and parents alike by selecting the highest-quality toys and most educational, fun-filled activities to foster a child’s development.
Through HOOT’s treasure boxes, parents are able to gain the necessary insight and understanding that assists them in furthering the development of their children playfully and dynamically.
If you’ve read through this review and feel that your child would benefit from other sorts of activities, then you should check out these subscription box alternatives:
- Playtime by Eimmie – This box subscription service caters to girls and their doll playmates. Each month you’ll receive themed outfits, accessories, and playsets for your child’s dolls, but it is worth mentioning that they are only for 18” dolls. Members can also download exclusive content and activity sheets to encourage your children’s imaginative play with toys.
- Sports Box – This box subscription service brings out the athletic side of your children. Whether they enjoy lacrosse, soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball, or softball, there’s a loot box for your child. Boxes include your selected sport’s accessories, gear, and training aids to help your child bring out their athletic potential.
- Bluum – A subscription box service that caters to mothers and their infants. What makes Bluum unique is that you can start the subscription during your pregnancy, and it can last up to your child’s toddler years, and the service will give you the best goodies for whatever stage you and your baby are in.
- Made by occupational therapists
- OTs tailor each box to your child’s specific developmental needs
- Uses only high-quality toy brands
- Great for various ages
- New theme each month
- Excellent gifting option
- On the more expensive end of subscription boxes for kids
- No free shipping
Whether you’re a parent who wants to ensure that your children get the help they need for each developmental stage, or just someone who wants to send a creative gift to a little one in your life, HOOT for Kids is an excellent choice.
The customized and high-quality content in their treasure boxes provides kids with unique activities and enhanced playtime to help boost their development.