Would you want to save time by having your food arrive on your doorstep without having to go shopping for it?
Maybe you can’t find grass-fed beef, organic free-range chicken, or heritage pork at your local butcher shop?
Or you want to prepare your meals from scratch instead of having the ready-to-eat recipes delivered?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you would benefit from ButcherBox.
Read on to find out what ButcherBox is all about and how it can help you get high-quality and tasty proteins.
How Does ButcherBox Work?
Butcher Box is a subscription-based delivery service that allows you to pick your preferred meat package and how often you would like the package delivered.
You can choose between a bi-weekly and monthly subscription; you also have the option to delay or change the frequency of delivery at any time.
This option can be very convenient if you plan to travel or when you have a surplus of meat and don’t need any more at the moment.
Moreover, you can select any add-ons whenever you like; add-ons are a one-time-only item, such as a pack of uncured bacon.
You can choose from the following package options:
- Mixed Box (beef, pork, and chicken)
- Beef and Chicken
- Beef and Pork
- All Beef
- Custom Box
Keep in mind that you aren’t allowed to choose the cuts for the Mixed Box, Beef and Chicken, Beef and Pork, and All Beef packages.
With the Custom Box, however, you can choose the specific cuts that go in your box. Each package is available in two sizes:
- Big Box – 18 to 26 pounds meat, providing for at least 48 meals
- Classic Box – 9 to 14 pounds, providing meat for at least 24 meals
Once you make your order, you can expect to receive your package in under 12 hours (some areas of delivery may take longer, depending on your location).
The meat is shipped frozen and vacuum-packed in a cardboard box with dry ice and an insulated liner to preserve quality.
Types of Meats Available
You can purchase the following types of meat from Butcher Box:
- Beef – Butcher Box beef is 100% grass-fed and grass-finished. The meat has no added antibiotics or hormones, and the cattle spend their life feeding on pasture grass.
- Chicken – Butcher Box provides free-range, organic, pasture-raised chicken. The chickens are raised under certified humane conditions; they have access to the outdoors and can interact freely with other chickens.
- Pork – Butcher Box offers heritage breed pork, which doesn’t have the flavor bred out of them. The pork has no added antibiotics or hormones.
Butcher Box pricing is straightforward, so you always know how much you are going to pay for your package:
- Curated Box (Butcher Box chooses the cuts for you)
- Classic Box – $129 per month, 8 to 11 lbs. of meat
- Big Box – $238 per month, 16 to 22 lbs. of meat
- Custom Box (You choose the cuts)
- Classic Box – $149 per month, 9 to 14 lbs. of meat
- Big Box – $270 per month, 18 to 26 lbs. of meat
You can also choose a Mixed Box (Beef, Pork, and Chicken), and shipping is always free.
There are also no additional or hidden charges, as there are with other similar companies.
Butcher Box was founded by Michael Salguero in 2015 and is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
It’s a subscription-based service that offers home delivery of 100% grass-fed, fresh beef every month or every other week, depending on the needs of your family.
Moreover, it offers heritage breed pork and organic chicken.
The company capitalizes on its strategic partnerships with cattle, heritage pork, and organic poultry farms to consistently deliver high-quality, fresh meat. Thanks to its top-notch service delivery, Butcher Box has managed to win the loyalty of over 10,000 customers across the United States.
Butcher Box meat is free from added hormones and antibiotics.
It is also raised under humane conditions on family-run farms, and the natural diet of the animals is not interfered with in any way.
The animals are not raised in crowded spaces, and they always have full access to both pastures and appropriate shelters.
Moreover, they have access to the outdoors and can interact freely with other animals. This style of raising livestock is quite expensive, and it usually is challenging to find such high-quality meat.
If Butcher Box doesn’t meet your needs or you just want to try something else, there are several other alternatives, including:
- Carnivore Club – Established in 2012 and based in Toronto, Ontario, Carnivore Club is a curated, cured meat of the month club. The club works with local artisans to supply its members with premium cured meats.
- Greensbury – Todd Horowitz founded Greensbury in 2007 with the aim of making organic meat available to everyone across the United States.
- Rastelli’s – Founded in 1976 and headquartered in Swedesboro, New Jersey, Rastelli’s specializes in processing and distributing beef, lamb, pork, poultry, veal, and seafood products for restaurants, hotels, institutions, and retail markets not only in the United States but also internationally.
Pros and Cons
It is advisable to understand the major advantages and disadvantages of Butcher Box, so you can know if it suits your needs.
Let’s explore some of the company’s pros and cons.
- Offers over 60 high-quality meat items
- 100% grass-fed beef, heritage breed pork, and organic chicken
- Excellent selection of both premium and convenience cuts
- Great membership packages
- Delightful add-ons
- Flexible subscription
- Free shipping
- Not very affordable
- You pay more if you want to choose your cuts
- Sometimes delivery arrives with damaged packaging
Experts estimate that less than 5% of the beef on the market today is grass-fed.
So, when you purchase meat from Butcher Box, you are not only getting premium quality meat, but you are also supporting devoted farmers who practice healthy and humane livestock-raising methods.
Leave a Reply