Hands up if this sounds familiar: “I don’t have anything to wear.”
And usually, this phrase is being muttered while trying to stuff all that clothing back into your wardrobe. We buy clothes to look good, but we don’t always know what’ll work for us.
If you’re like many other people, you probably have a wardrobe full of clothes. The kicker is, you still wear your favorite two or three outfits to death.
The Ms. Collection promises to put a stop to the confusion.
You get clothes to try every month, and if you fall in love with something, you can buy it; if not, send it back.
The company claims to have found the perfect solution to a boring wardrobe.
Have they succeeded?
Let’s find out.
How Does The Ms. Collection Work?
It’s simple: sign yourself up and pick the right subscription option for you.
There are four alternatives to choose from, which we will go into detail on later.
Complete Your Profile
Spend some time here, because this is where the company finds out what your size is, what preferences you have, and what your measurements are.
You also have the opportunity to leave a note for the stylist.
If you’d like, you can share your Pinterest board to give them an idea of what to look for.
Get the Box
The box is styled according to your preferences. You have two options – get a sneak peek, or wait and see.
The clothes should all fit you and your style perfectly, and you get to wear them as long as you like to see if they suit you.
If you’d like to keep the clothes, contact the company and buy them. If you’ve decided that they’re not right for you, send them back.
You don’t even have to wash them—they provide you with a bag for dirty laundry.
Just place the soiled item in and send it back.
You’ll be asked to rate the box that you are returning, and you have the opportunity to add notes if necessary.
Your assigned stylist takes these notes into account when packing your next box, and your next box won’t be packed until the previous one has been received…and then the process starts all over again.
The company picks up the tab for the shipping both ways.
Canceling the Service
You can opt out at any time as long as the clothing has been returned.
The company suggests ensuring that you give a window of three days before your next box is due.
This time frame will not only give the old box time to get back but will also give you time to cancel.
Types of Clothing Available
The company has a wide range of fashionable men’s and women’s clothes available.
You have hundreds of thousands of items to choose from—everything from suits and dresses to shorts and T-shirts.
All of the clothing offered by Ms. is of good quality and highly durable.
There are two types of plans available, each with two options to choose from.
Basic plans are the starter plans, and you get one box per month. You can decide whether you want either three or four items in your box; three items at a time would be $59 per month, and four items is an extra $10 a month.
With the Basic plans, it doesn’t matter how quickly you send the box back; even if you return it after a few days, you still have to wait until next month for the next delivery.
The Unlimited plans cost more per month but don’t restrict you in terms of how many boxes you get.
In theory, you could return a box every week and get another one immediately.
For packs with three items, you’ll pay $79, and for packs of four, you’ll pay $89.
This company is a subsidiary of Loop Envy Inc., which began in 2015 and launched its Mr. Collection.
It wasn’t long before the idea started to take off in a big way, and that’s when the company decided to branch out into women’s clothes as well.
- PRET-A-BEAUTE: If you prefer brand-new, high-fashion items, this might suit you better.
- Urbane Box: Works on similar principles to this one with a focus more on menswear.
- Gwynnie Bee: Offers a good range of plus size clothing as well.
Pros and Cons
- A stylist picks the look for you. You’ll get things you might not have chosen for yourself.
- If you’re in the process of losing weight, it’s hard to update your wardrobe. With this system, you get clothes that fit. When they become too big, send them back.
- You have the option to buy something that you like. The upside of doing it this way is that you get a great discount.
- You’re allowed to keep the clothes as long as you like. If you don’t send the box back, you don’t get another. Your subscription enables you to keep them indefinitely.
- It’s good for the environment. The high-turnover fashion industry has been under scrutiny as significant source of pollution over the last few years. By renting clothes in this manner, you’re reducing your overall consumption; this process in turn makes the industry more sustainable.
- You don’t have to wash the clothes.
- They cater to both men and women.
- The stylist includes notes of their own for a more personal touch.
- You can’t pick what’s added to the box.
- If you damage it, you buy it. Or, as an alternative, take the $5/month insurance option. That way, if you spill something on something and it stains, you don’t have to buy the item.
- You don’t get a new box until the others have been sent back…and the turnaround time here could be better.
- You’re getting clothes that have been used. They’re completely clean, but this might put some people off.
In just four short years, The Mr. and Ms. Collection has become a trusted subscription box site with a turnover exceeding a million per year.
It looks set to grow even bigger moving forward, and it a great option for those shoppers looking to save time and money.